Pages

Some Poems from India - Part 2


WORDS OF WISDOM
 
An ignorant man is readily pleased;
more readily yet is a sage.
But a man corrupted by trifling knowledge,
Brahma himself cannot sway.
Courage in adversity, patience in prosperity,
eloquence in assembly, heroism at arms,
delight in fame, devotion to scripture --
all are in the nature of noble men.
Beware!
Kings are ruined by bad advice,
ascetics by society,
offspring by indulgence,
priests by ignorance of scripture,
a family by degenerate sons,
morality by bad company;
modesty by wine,
husbandry by lack of care,
affection by distance,
friendship by distrust,
prosperity by lack of luck,
and wealth by prodigal ways.
When I knew but a little, I was blinded by pride,
as an elephant is by rut;
with my mind so stained I believed,
"I am a sage"
But slowly I learned from the presence of men
wise in myriad ways;
my pride, like fever, was subdued and I knew,
"I am a fool".
Refrain from taking life,
never envy other men's wealth,
speak words of truth,
give timely alms within your means.
Keep silent on the conduct of women,
dam the torrent of your craving,
do reverence before the venerable,
and bear compassion for all creatures --
this unerring path to bliss
is taught in all the texts of scripture.
 
Bhartrihari (translated by Barbara S. Miller)
He who sees that the Lord of all is ever the
same in all that is -- immortal in the field
of mortality -- he sees the truth.
And when a man sees that the God in
himself is the same God in all that is, he
hurts not himself by hurting others. Then
he goes, indeed, to the highest path.
 
Bhagavad Gita 13.27-28 (Hinduism Today, Feb. 1996)
 
 
PERSPECTIVE
A hungry man craves a handful of barley,
but sated he deems the whole earth straw.
It is the condition of men's fortunes
that exaggerates or belittles things.
Bhartrihari (translated by Barbara S. Miller)  
 
MAGNIFICENT PHASE
A gem carved by the jeweler's stone,
a warrior-hero wounded at arms,
an elephant wasted by rut,
river banks dry in the sultry months,
the moon in its final phase,
a girl exhausted by love play,
and men whose riches are spent in alms --
all are magnificent in their decline.
Bhartrihari (translated by Barbara S. Miller)
 
 
LAMENTATION
 
All desire for pleasure has waned,
the esteem of men has ebbed;
beloved friends and peers of life
now are lost to heaven;
the simplest movement requires a cane;
these eyes are veiled in darkness.
How bold this body is to fear
the final blow of death!
I failed to fix my aimless thoughts on Shiva's
holy foot to cleave these mundane bonds;
I heedlessly shunned the righteous way
which penetrates heaven's massive doors;
I even failed in my dreams to embrace
woman's voluptuous breasts, and her ample hips.
I lived my life like an ax, wasting
the forest of youth my mother slaved to nurture.
 
Bhartrihari (translated by Barbara S. Miller)
 
 
REALIZATION !
When dark passion wove
a web of ignorance about me,
then a woman seemed
to fill the world's expanse.
But now that I am favored with
keener discernment,
my tranquil sight sees Brahman
throughout the universe.
 
Bhartrihari (translated by Barbara S. Miller)
 
OF THE HUMAN FRAME AND STRUCTURE
God formed thee as he had formed these (animals)
after them all wert thou created;
superiority and command were given thee over all;
and of his own breath did he communicate to thee
thy principle of knowledge
 
Know thyself, then, the pride of his creation;
the link uniting divinity and matter;
behold a part of God himself within thee;
remember thy own dignity,
nor dare descend to evil or to meanness 
 
The Economy of Human Life (Ancient Unknown Bramin)